Skin Resurfacing in Bend, Oregon
Used to effectively remove the outer layers of sun-damaged, blemished, unevenly pigmented, blotchy skin or pre-cancerous growths – Chemical peel in Bend, Oregon is available in three strengths to accomplish peels at three levels of depth. The solution is applied to the skin and the chemical reaction peels off the outer layer of skin leaving fresh new skin growth with the absence of blemishes, blotches and wrinkles. A peel may be performed in conjunction with a facelift – but it is not a substitute for a facelift since it does not achieve the same results. Chemical peels also do not stop or retard the normal effects of aging.
Lights peels: Alphahydroxy acids (AHA) and Betahydroxy acids (BHA) are often called “Light or Lunch-hour” peels. AHA and BHA solutions are the mildest form of peel used to smooth rough, dry skin and improve the texture of sun-damaged skin and mild acne. The AHA solution can also be mixed with a bleaching agent to correct or improve pigmentation problems. The AHA peel may be used as a pre-treatment in preparation for a TCA peel or for laser resurfacing.
- AHA & BHA peels are usually performed in our office surgical suite.
- These lift peels are relatively light and simple.
- No sedation or anesthesia is required – only slight stinging is experienced.
- Treatments normally take about 10 – 15 minutes.
- The solution is applied after the face is thoroughly cleansed – left on 15 minutes and then removed.
- Flaking, redness, dryness or mild irritation is common
- You will be able to return to normal public activities within a day or two.
- A sun block must be used until Dr. Villano says its o.k. to stop using it.
Medium peels involve the application of a solution of Tricholoroacetic acid (TCA) to treat skin with moderate sun damage, surface wrinkles or uneven tone or pigment abnormalities. TCA can also be applied in varying strengths to adjust the depth of the peel.
- TCA solution is applied to your face after it is thoroughly cleansed.
- You will be given a light sedative before treatment begins – if you so choose.
- The solution has somewhat of a numbing effect – so sedation is not always needed.
- You may feel a “warm” or “burning” sensation.
- TCA peel may also be used on the neck and is preferred for darker skins.
- Often 2 or more TCA peel treatments are needed to achieve the optimum outcomes – spaced at one or two month intervals.
- Flaking, redness, dryness and irritation are normal during healing.
Deep peels: Phenol acid is the strongest chemical peel solution and accomplishes the deepest peel and most dramatic results. It smoothes coarse wrinkles and is often used to remove pre-cancerous growths. Blotchiness is also treated with Phenol peel.
Deep Peel before and after photos
- After your face is thoroughly cleansed the Phenol solution is applied.
- Phenol peels generally take one to two hours (full face) – depending on the area being treated. Small areas can take as little as 15 minutes – such as the upper lip.
- Phenol peels are normally performed in our surgical suite – in office.
- Phenol peels usually require sedation for maximum comfort.
- Phenol peel is used on the face only – scarring may occur if used on other areas of the body.
- Phenol peel is only suitable for fair, thin-skinned individuals with superficial wrinkles.
- Flaking, redness, dryness and irritation will occur along with minor crusting. A dressing will be applied after your peel is completed.
- Tingling or throbbing is common and will be managed with mild pain medication.
- Swelling will be significant – but subsides over a few days time.
- Crusts or scabs that form will slough off in a week to 10 days – and then you will be able to resume normal activities – except for sun exposure.
- A liquid diet may be required for a few days – talking may also be difficult.
- New red skin begins to form from 7-10 days after your treatment and this color fades gradually over a few weeks.
- You must have a responsible adult drive you to your appointment, drive you home after and stay with you for a couple days. Swelling around the eyes is common.
- Returning to work and normal activities – including wearing makeup- may take 2 weeks or longer.
- You must avoid sun exposure until told it’s o.k. and then a Sun block must be used until Dr.Villano tells you otherwise.
As with any procedure, Dr. Villano will discuss all your concerns and help you set up a personalized treatment plan that will achieve your goals. You should be in good health and be able to establish realistic goals and expectations. A good nutritious diet is always beneficial and we prefer you stop smoking for a few weeks before and after any invasive procedure. The number of treatments you will need will be decided upon also to help ensure the results you want and deserve.
** All peel procedures carry some risks and these should be discussed with Dr. Villano.
For Skin Resurfacing Procedures in Bend, Oregon Contact Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Villano by Email or contact us by phone at (541) 312-3223